Aquatic Programs - Coordinator Child Youth & Aquatics
DEPARTMENT: Child, Youth & Aquatics
PLACEMENT: Full-Time Permanent
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is a registered charity dedicated to building healthy communities by nurturing the potential of children, youth and families, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within our community.
The YMCA is thrilled to be recognized on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022. The YMCA has always been a place for meaningful work experiences, not only because of the opportunities, but because of why we’re here. When you measure success by how many people you have helped, it adds a deeper sense of purpose to what you’re doing. By striving to improve our employee experience, we have made the YMCA a good place to work while doing good work.
Our YMCA is a trusted and respected employer of 1000 full and part time staff and hundreds of volunteers, serving tens of thousands of people each year in child care, camp, health and fitness, leadership, employment and literacy, immigrant services and youth programming. We provide upwards of $1 million in financial assistance each year to support individuals and families in local communities who otherwise would not be able to afford participation.
So much more than buildings and programs, our YMCA is a place to belong and to grow strong. We promote and develop healthy minds and spirits as much as healthy bodies. We support children and youth to grow up strong, confident and resilient. And we help busy individuals and families at every age and stage to connect with the people, the values and the activities that matter most to them, every day. We are committed to this work at every level of our organization because we know that when we support people of all backgrounds, ages and abilities to fulfill health goals, reach their full potential and feel they truly belong, we build stronger communities. We currently operate across Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound.
If you have a love for making a difference in the lives of youth, with great initiative and instructional skills, and are passionate about building stronger, healthier and more connected communities, we want to talk to you.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring a safe environment and delivering quality, values-based programming and services to children, youth and families.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
- Teaching and coaching a variety of YMCA child, youth and family programs, both on land and in the pool.
- Give direct leadership to the YMCA Youth Leadership program
- Continuously building relationships with all members, participants, staff and volunteers.
- Ensure all safety, program instruction best practices and procedures are adhered to.
- Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations.
- Maintain records as needed, including attendance sheets, program area maintenance items and daily checklists.
- Work as part of a team to ensure a clean and well maintained facility at all times.
- Provide administrative support to Supervisor, Child, Youth & Aquatics as required including staff scheduling, training and supervision.
- Act as a team leader, modelling best practices with respect to Healthy Child Development, Healthy Adolescent Development and YMCA aquatics and land programming.
- Act as Manager on Duty as assigned.
- Identify and create opportunities to enhance each and every persons YMCA experience.
- To maintain current qualifications as required by this position.
- Flexible work week including days, evenings and weekends.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
- Monitor all programs and services for quality, consistency, retention and overall effectiveness.
- Follow all YMCA standards and best practises, protocols and regulations as defined by the association, the Health Department, and other governing bodies.
- To participate as a senior member of the Child, Youth & Aquatics staff team and the centre senior staff team as required.
- Maintain a high level of retention among qualified, high performing child, youth and aquatics staff and volunteers through ongoing role modeling, coaching and mentoring
- Ensure a front-line presence during day, evening and weekend hours as required by YMCA programs and services. Interact with members and participants on a regular basis in order to maintain accessibility and foster relationships.
- Provide front line support to the other departments as required.
- Degree or Diploma in a relevant discipline (Recreation, Child & Youth Worker, Physical Education, etc)
- Standard First Aid/CPR Certification ‘C’
- NLP and YMCA aquatic instructor certification preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children & youth in a program delivery environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs
- Mandated training is required before or shortly after commencement of work:
- Healthy Child Development training
- Child Protection orientation
- AODA training
- Health & Safety Awareness training
- Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) training
- PCI Compliance
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Environment: Works indoors, temperature-controlled pool deck.
Physical: Standing for extended periods, most of a 7.5 hour shift, must be able to pick up and carry children up to 35lbs, bending, lifting, crouching, kneeling, sitting, assisting children with playing, hand washing, putting toys away, walking and running with children in the play ground.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that successful candidates will be required to submit a current and satisfactory Police Record with Vulnerable Sector Screen and three professional references for review prior to starting employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $19.72
- Travel Required No
- Job Start Date June 12, 2023
- Midland, ON, Canada