Safety Codes Officer - Building
Cochrane is excited to recruit for the position of Safety Codes Officer – Building. Cochrane’s Safety Codes team plays a key role in the safety of buildings and structures, and they take that responsibility for safety seriously! We are looking for innovative and skilled individuals to join our team!
The Safety Codes team inspect and approve design and construction for building, electrical, gas and plumbing work to ensure they comply with all relevant codes and standards. Permits grant legal permission to begin construction of a building project, including new construction, alterations, renovations, relocations, basement development and decks.
Why should you consider working for us?
Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
As an organization, Cochrane has a focus on investing in people. This is not a boring municipality. We are growing into an organization with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We are municipal employees, and we are accountable to all the residents of Cochrane. Want to be a part of this exciting time?
Ok, but what is a Building Safety Codes Officer at Cochrane?
This person is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the National Building Code and the Alberta Safety Codes Act. They are the in-house experts on residential building safety codes and compliance. They are knowledgeable about legislation; oh, they love legislation! Understanding the black and white, and carefully interpreting the grey is where they love to contribute to this team. This team is a group of hardworking professionals and administrators dedicated to collaborating and educating homeowners and contractors to ensure safety in all residential buildings in Town.
Did you know that the building code gets updated every few years? This team is on top of it! They keep current on all new practices and pass on that information to their stakeholders. With the growth in Cochrane, they need to keep current and improve processes as needed. We are looking for someone who is adaptable to new methods. Team members asking themselves “can we do it better?” brings innovation and process improvements which create efficiencies and benefit Town residents.
If you want to make a difference in our community and have a minimum 5 years experience as a Safety Codes Officer, we welcome your application for the Building Safety Codes Officer.
As the Building Safety Codes Officer, you will:
- Administer and enforce the National Building Code (AB Edition), Alberta Safety Codes Act, the Land Use Bylaw, other Town bylaws and the Quality Management Plan, as they relate to building construction.
- Within the scope of authority and as directed, review and approve building plans.
- Within scope of authority, perform non-residential and/or residential building inspections and ensure compliance to any issued Orders by the Safety Codes Council to maintain complete documentation, technical accuracy and procedural compliance.
- Provide support as the subject matter expert when/if any Orders are appealed to the Safety Codes Council or litigation(s) arise.
- Examine permit applications for compliance and issue permits.
- Provide Code interpretation to the construction industry, homeowners, other members of the Safety Codes team, as well as other internal Town of Cochrane staff.
- Liaise with various regulatory bodies, associations, committees, departments and stakeholders.
- Maintain logs of all construction activity in accordance with the Quality Management Plan.
- Monitor and report upon building or development activity undertaken without approval.
- Provide customer service and responds to inquiries from the public or other municipalities.
- Provide administrative support for Safety Codes section.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- Journeyman Carpenter with a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a journeyman or other equivalent certified trades/technologist.
- Certified Part 9, Part 3 & HVAC ALL Building Safety Codes Officer with a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Safety Codes Officer.
- Eligibility for Designation of Powers through the Alberta Safety Codes Council
- Municipal experience would be considered an asset.
- Strong knowledge of Alberta Safety Codes Act, National Building Code (AB Edition) and other relevant legislation
- Analytical skills and the ability to understand and report upon technical information
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Proficiency in all Microsoft office and Adobe software applications
- Experience working Blue Prince software or other permit tracking software
Cochrane is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all employees. As a Cochrane employee, you must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, Cochrane directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Still interested? Here’s how to apply:
• Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position.
• All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey.
• Applications for this position will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. To apply, please visit www.cochrane.ca/jobs
• Salary range $45.89 - $54.13
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $50.67
- Max Hiring Rate $54.13
- 101 Ranchehouse Rd, Cochrane, AB T4C 2K8, Canada