News Director - Guelph Radio
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
Our culture and our people are what make us, US.
We have a passion to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Our award-winning culture is an expression of who we are, what we do, and how we thrive. Our values describe our culture in action. They outline how we achieve our goals, work together, engage with partners, and interact in our communities. At Corus, we Win Together, Think Beyond, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day and Show We Care.
Ready to join US?
Division: Guelph Radio
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Guelph, ON (Onsite)
About the Role:
Corus Radio Guelph has an exciting opportunity for a News Director in our Guelph newsroom. Reporting to the Regional Program Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for supervising the CJOY newsroom. This includes the on-air development and motivation of newscasters and reporters. The successful candidate will ensure that station policies and editorial guidelines are adhered to. The position is also responsible for presenting newscasts on an as needed basis. Coupled with the main responsibilities for CJOY the position requires overseeing the delivery of newscasts and news information to Corus Radio Guelph’s sister radio station Magic 106.
This newsroom leader will be an individual that lives news, as well as recognizes the ‘24 hour’ on-call nature of a dynamic, and fully staffed radio newsroom. You will be someone that understands the need for timely, relevant, and interesting news coverage.
You will contribute by:
- Supervise and assist news staff.
- Work with the Regional Program Director regarding budget, station policies, news coverage, special events coverage and other issues.
- Monitor news development and review on-air copy of news anchors.
- Set editorial direction and provides leadership in choosing story coverage and line-up.
- Ensures news staff adhere to the code of the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council.
- Ensures news staff follow journalistic codes set out by the RTDNA.
- Hire and evaluate news staff.
- Develop and enhance policies for news department.
- Write, edit and read newscasts.
- Phone news sources/newsmakers, conduct interviews, edit and write news stories and check news information.
- Monitor electronic feeds and reports.
- Respond to listeners questions and concerns.
- Review and authorize news stories as needed.
- As required seek legal direction on stories.
- Coordinate story coverage with news staff.
- Create a daily assignment list.
- Oversee and up-date local news content on web site and social platforms.
- Ensure and oversee breaking news e-mail alerts.
- Oversee posting of on-site photos to website news page, gathered by reporters.
- Meet daily with Talk show hosts/producers.
- Scheduling of staff
Skills and Experience you bring:
- Post-secondary education in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Previous experience working on-air with newsroom experience, five or more years of experience preferred.
- Capacity to develop News policy and editorial guidelines.
- Ability to coordinate all aspects of the newsroom.
- Ability to allocate resources, set priorities and ensure deadlines are met.
- Ability to work under extreme time pressures.
- Knowledge of Burli newsroom operating system considered a key asset.
- Understanding of the makings of relevant and interesting news stories.
- Ability to judge whether a story and/or source is credible.
- Knowledgeable of current events, politics, justice, labor, and human nature.
- Superior on-air presentation skills.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to create and maintain a positive working environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Computer literate including MS Office.
- A positive, friendly manner and customer service approach that will enable the successful candidate to deal with challenging situations.
For the application process, you will be required to submit a demo reel highlighting your experience.
- Reel should be between 2-3 minutes
Application Deadline: May 15, 2023
Every day, we work hard to become an even more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that supports the well-being of our people and makes a positive difference in our communities. Want to learn more? Have a look at our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan and Sustainability Report for more information on our approach to People, Planet and Responsibility.
We want our workforce to reflect the full diversity of communities across Canada.
We are committed to providing an accessible experience for candidates of all abilities. Please let your recruiter or the hiring manager know if you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process or email us in confidence at email@example.com.
How to Apply: If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PG-Programming
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Talent