ABOUT THIS POSITION
As a Technical Writer, you will be collaborating with our development team to document the tools and practices that they use in the creation of our games. We are growing and need to share this information with our development team who operate both in-house and remote. Our game engine is proprietary and always evolving; this will be a challenging position where you will be able to combine your love for technology with your love for writing. We are looking for someone with a strong ability to understand complex and sometimes abstract ideas and who can describe these in a way that anyone can understand.
In this position, you will be working very closely with our programmers, artists, and designers to understand where the gaps in our documentation lie and work diligently to fill those gaps using the written word, illustrations, still images, and video captures. We are looking for someone excited by this opportunity who will face the challenge head-on.
- Create, edit, and maintain all technical documentation relating to the company’s technology, the Evolution Engine.
- Write, produce, edit, and maintain the information and documentation platform used by our development team as well as our in-engine tool tips.
- Work closely with and interview team members (i.e. programmers, artists, level designers, etc.) to become familiar with the technology and pipelines to create rich yet concise libraries of information.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set standards
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other team members and incorporate into master documentation accordingly
- Analyze developments in various areas of our tools and pipeline to determine the need for revisions in previously published material and ensure accuracy and completeness of technical documentation.
- Generate, maintain, and manage visual materials such as illustrations, still images, and video captures that will help to illustrate information relevant to the development tools, and present those materials in a way that can be easily understood by the intended audience.
- Promote documentation standards within our teams and coach other non-writers on how to improve their writing skills
- College diploma or University degree in English, Communications or Technical Writing
- Computer Science degree or similar,
- Minimum 2 years experience on a team involved in AAA game development.
- Previous professional experience in the areas of technical art, programming, design, or environment art.
- A portfolio of your own work which demonstrates a diverse range of writing types with a focus on technical writing.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills
- A genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games
- A positive outlook and attitude toward collaboratively working with people and teams to achieve the common goal of developing a meaningful experience for our audience.
- Sense of initiative and proactivity.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change.
- Knowledge of other video game production departments/pipelines.
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™.
For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers". We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of "Giving Back" through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children's holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
- Job Function Dev
- Pay Type Salary
- Irvine, CA, USA
- London, ON, Canada