Food Program Facilitator
Food Program Facilitator – Full Time
St. Thomas, ON (The Station and Railway City Lofts)
Position Description: As the Food Program Facilitator, you will be responsible for all food-related activities within the program, including the preparation of approximately 60 daily, nutritious, hot meals. They will use concepts of rehabilitation and recovery in daily interactions with tenants, while maintaining a clean and safe environment. This program supports individuals in housing stability through services provided by an inter-disciplinary team. All team members have the expectation to work collaboratively to ensure long term health and housing success. Scope of work may vary from time to time based on individual and program needs. This position will require a high level of resilience and willingness to work in close proximity to challenging situations.
About Indwell: We are a Christian not-for-profit charity that creates affordable housing communities and supportive programs to people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded in 1974, we continue to grow and thrive to build high quality energy efficient housing and inclusive living, uplifting our society. Our belief is that every employee is a leader contributing to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Being a part of our amazing team, you will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell's mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness. To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model/
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week. Program hours expected to fall between 8am-11pm. Flexibility is required to meet program demands. The program operates 7 days a week, including public holidays. The Food Facilitator will support the meal program, which is served daily at 5pm. Participation in the on-call schedule rotation is required.
Duties For This Position Include:
- Daily hot meal preparation for up to 60+ tenants
- Ability to bulk order all necessary items required for meals and plan nutritious menus accordingly
- Ability to follow and adhere to a set budget
- Has the ability to prepare culturally diverse meals or programming to meet all tenants needs
- Works in unity with other St. Thomas Indwell programs to ensure food security and meal provision for all tenants
- Responsible for maintaining a safe, healthy, and clean work environment
- Administrative responsibilities including maintaining financial records and accountability as well as program evaluation and tenant records
- Documentation as required by the agency’s procedures and external regulations
- Development and implementation of programming for tenants related to food security
- Supporting individuals’ participation in food programs and food-related activities including life skill building in either independent or group settings
- Ensuring compliance with applicable regulations, i.e. Health and Safety, Public Health (Infection Control)
- Working as part of an inter-disciplinary team to provide direct and indirect support to individuals
- Engaging and establishing external community partnerships to meet tenant food security needs
- Creating connections with community partners that contribute to improving tenant food security
- Represent Indwell professionally and respectfully in community
- Ensure effective integration of Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care residents within the greater supportive housing program.
- Liaise with Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care on resident wellness on routine basis.
Requirements: The successful candidate should demonstrate a warm, sensitive, and caring approach and have the ability to work independently, be flexible, organized, and take initiative. Must be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships and have a genuine interest in providing quality care for people living with mental illness and or substance use disorder. Adhering to a harm reduction approach. Must have physical capability to lift and maneuver heavy objects (i.e. dish racks, bulk food items and occasional appliances).
Education/Experience: Minimum Grade 12 diploma; post-secondary education is an asset. Experience with food preparation and food handling required. All applicants must be in possession of Safe Food Handling Certification or be willing to complete the course to become certified. Experience working with individuals living with mental illness or other special needs is an asset. Valid drivers license required.
Salary: $45,000-$53,500 annually based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To Apply: Please apply online at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- St Thomas, ON, Canada