Facilities Operations Manager
Facility Operations Manager – Full-time Permanent
Position Description: Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Facility Operations Manager is a senior leader accountable for keeping Indwell’s buildings looking amazing and functioning at their best, contributing directly to Indwell’s vision of creating supportive housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
The successful candidate will lead the facilities team, located across Indwell’s southern Ontario locations, that are integrated into the day-to-day operation of Indwell’s programs and supports. As the leader, they will set a tone of service to the programs and tenants that aligns with Indwell’s values of dignity, love and hope. Being a committed member, the Facility Operations Manager will uphold and reflect our Statement of Faith in their daily work and interactions.
They will be responsible for the effective operation of Indwell’s physical infrastructure and program facilities. As well as overseeing the effective launch of new projects during the transition from construction to operation. Ensuring that appropriate planning, resourcing, and systems are in place to provide building maintenance, services, and supplies to look after the homes and workplaces Indwell is accountable for operating. Developing and managing sizable operating and annual capital improvement budgets, requiring effective planning, procurement, oversight, tracking and reporting. Providing direct supervision of the three regional Facilities Managers and the Building Systems Supervisor, overall leadership and strategic direction to the facilities teams in all Indwell communities. This role is also the key liaison between Indwell’s facility operations and the new project development team, ensuring that future Indwell developments incorporate past experience/best practices related to infrastructure operations.
Our Mission: Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
- Guide overall strategy and implementation of facilities operations objectives and work plans in support of Indwell’s Strategic Plan.
- Participate with senior leadership in shaping long-term infrastructure goals related to maintaining and developing new program facilities.
- Draft and implement annual plans for facility operations, maintenance, and capital renewal.
- Liaise with teams responsible for new project development to ensure past learnings are included and organizational expectations are met in new projects.
- Facility Operations
- Ensure Indwell’s physical facilities operate in a safe, responsible manner in accordance with municipal, provincial, and federal standards, including building, fire, and other safety codes; all required licenses and permits are obtained and current.
- Oversee addressing all work-orders and activities related to maintaining clean, safe, and dignified facility environments that meets the organizational standards and expectations of tenants, staff, and others in line with mission, vision, and budgets.
- Develop and oversee standards for facility services such as signage, cleaning, maintenance, parking, safety inspections, security, landscaping and snow removal, sprinkler and fire safety, and utilities consumption.
- Plan and oversee contracts for outsourced supplies and services, including maintaining effective vendor relationships.
- Manage systems for tracking assets and inventory.
- Oversee all building systems including HVAC, electrical, conveyance, building envelope, plumbing, and life safety to ensure reliable operations are maintained.
- Monitor compliance with environmental Certificates of Property Use, where applicable.
- Ensure effective tracking of portfolio energy use and implement solutions and maintenance practices to reduce costs through operations and technical upgrades.
- Team Leadership and Participation
- Demonstrate and promote the vision, mission, and values of Indwell within the workplace and the community.
- Actively participate in the senior leadership table (CEO Advisory team), contributing to organizational strategy, direction and problem solving.
- Participate in the meetings and discussion of the Joint Health and safety Committee as one of the representatives.
- Lead and participate in staff meetings, professional development activities, and organizational functions towards building a dynamic and healthy workplace culture.
- Oversee regional facilities teams, through Facilities Managers, in maintaining organizational and property-specific standards and objectives.
- Promote integration of Facilities staff within Indwell program and site staff teams.
- Supervise and support Facilities Supervisors with leadership and direction.
- Facilitate integration of volunteers, students, and others within Facilities-related roles.
- Develop and coach employees towards achieving performance goals, including advising on training goals and performance improvements.
- Conduct performance assessments of direct reports and others as required.
- Participate and contribute as a senior manager within Indwell’s overall leadership activities.
- Ensure the effective use of the Yardi property management system for the dispatching of maintenance requests, resourcing, service contracts, etc.
- Monitor building performance and other relevant data for business intelligence, KPI’s, routine reports, and analytics to enhance facilities management support for organizational achievement across departments.
- Oversee insurance policy compliance and address building related claims as required.
- Develop and maintain current facility operations documentation for all properties.
- Oversee vehicle fleet operations, including leasing and maintenance requirements.
- Financial Management
- Develop and manage to annual budgets for operating expenses, contracts, equipment, supplies, and capital improvements.
- Collaborate with Finance on providing analysis and input to the operating and capital improvement budget and planning process, including monthly reporting on expenditures in support of Audit Committee and general financial management.
- Collaborate and support future capital needs analysis and planning for adequate capital reserves.
- Oversee effective procurement policies and procedures.
- Project Management
- Lead in determining major project and capital planning priorities.
- Participate in planning and lead on integrating new program facilities.
- Collaborate with new project development project managers on developing and implementing larger-scale building renovation and refurbishment projects.
- Provide leadership on coordinating Facilities-organized projects to refurbish, renovate and redesign existing facilities. Ensure that all building alterations and capital projects are performed in accordance with organizational standards and building code requirements.
- Deep commitment to upholding and modeling Indwell’s mission statement, values, Statement of Faith, and other operating standards and policies, reflecting them in all interactions and decisions. Statement of Faith | Indwell
- Current knowledge of standards for property management, building operations, logistics, and project management within the multi-residential or institutional/commercial sectors.
- Comfortable with developing a forward-looking strategy and then delivering within a growing and evolving organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are needed to effectively interact with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders on a regular basis. Has a high degree of professionalism in communicating with staff, tenants, and contractors.
- Experience leading a team and demonstrated team leadership with a passion for mentoring staff to continuously learn and grow.
- Must be comfortable working within a supportive housing and healthcare services setting and have an attitude and set a tone of empathy, compassion and service.
- High proficiency in MS Office 365, Word, Excel, Outlook, building automation systems.
- Knowledge of Yardi (or similar) property management software an asset.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency standards, eg. LEED or Passive House, and commitment to environmental stewardship through facility operations is considered an asset
- Must hold a valid G class driver’s license
Hours: Full time hours (40 hours/week) with flexibility required. Primarily weekdays although hours are variable based on program needs. Oversight of an on-call Facilities response system.
Place of Work: This position is based at 1430 Main St. E, Hamilton, with routine in-person responsibilities throughout program locations in various municipalities.
Education: A degree or related qualifications, or demonstrated experience, in areas such as facilities or project management, business management, etc. is required. Five to seven years’ experience in property management including experience in building operations, construction, and financial matters; minimum three years’ experience managing a staff team.
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants, however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 1429 Main St E, Hamilton, ON L8K 1C2, Canada