Registered Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) OR Registered Nurse (RN)- Full Time
Strathearne Suites Program
About Indwell: We are a Christian not-for-profit charity that creates affordable housing communities and supportive programs to people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded in 1974, we continue to grow and thrive to build high quality energy efficient housing and inclusive living, uplifting our society. Our belief is that every employee is a leader contributing to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Being a part of our amazing team you will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell's mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness. To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model
Hours of Work: Full time- 40 hours per week. Flexibility is required to meet program needs. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
Directly Supporting Individuals
- Provide direct nursing care and services to tenants as required within scope of practice
- Develop and monitor plans of care in collaboration with community professionals and agencies
- Provide health, mental health and addictions assessments with clinical staff and supports
- Regular monitoring of tenant health and self care plans- engage additional services as required
- Ensure consistent follow up with mental health, addictions treatment and recovery plans
- Health teaching on topics including but not limited to medications, immunization, chronic disease management, etc. Assist in motivating individuals to learn new behaviours and develop coping skills
- Support tenants’ with cultural, spiritual, recreational, leisure, educational, and social activities
- Collaborate with the tenant’s primary health provider and provide suggestions with regards to any required changes in client's treatment profile
- As a representative of a faith-based organization, recognize and promote the role of spirituality and provide support and guidance as required
- Provide direct clinical services, including client assessment, treatment, and referrals
- Health promotion – Enabling people to increase control over and improve their health
- Primary Nursing care – Medication management, ER diversion, Care plan development, Addiction medicine, wound care
- Mental health crisis and suicidality – Assessment of baseline mental health, NVCI (Non Violent Crisis Intervention), ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills), SafeTalk
- Education and health teaching – Medication administration training for interdisciplinary staff team, health teaching to promote healthy lifestyles for tenants, specialized health training for staff (e.g. diabetes management)
- Relationship building – Building therapeutic relationships with tenants, recovery oriented approach, trauma informed care, promoting hope and trust
- Critical thinking – Evidence based practice, influence policy and program development, identify relevant and appropriate sources of information
- Advocacy – Using evidence to influence policy and practice, supporting tenants to promote well-being as defined by the person
Health, Welfare and Safety Practices
- Adhere to health and safety standards
- Complete required safety checks and inspections as assigned
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to date medical records and communicating with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers as required
- Complete required reports in a timely manner in accordance with policy and procedures
- Ensure information about tenant interactions are entered into the data system as required
Participation and Commitment to the Team
- Supports and coordinates activities with all members of the interdisciplinary staff team
- Assist in the orientation and support of staff, students and volunteers
- Attend and actively participate in training as well as team and agency meetings as required
- Be able to act as a preceptor to nursing students.
- Participate with the team in shared responsibilities and service plans with and for tenants
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Evidence of appropriate insurance as stipulated by the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BLS (Basic Life Support) for health care providers
- Committed to upholding and modeling the standards set out in the organization’s Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Code of Conduct and other operating standards and policies
- Promote and demonstrate the vision, mission and values of Indwell at work and in community
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness, addictions or other special needs. Community psychiatric or community health experience preferred
- Experience with harm reduction approaches to substance use
- Knowledge of local community resources/support systems, infection prevention and control interventions
- Ability to demonstrate warmth, sensitivity, and a caring attitude
- Work independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative
- Problem solve and handle crises with clear rational thinking
- Maintain excellent interpersonal relationships
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- A valid “G” class driver’s license
Education/Experience: working in community nursing or mental health services.
RPN: Completion of an approved Registered Practical Nursing program.
RN: Minimum BScN. Completion of a university, college or other approved registered nursing program.
Salary: Full time, annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants, however only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 311 Strathearne Ave, Hamilton, ON L8H 5K8, Canada