Housing Support Worker
Housing Support Worker- Full Time (32 Hours)
Hamilton Apartments Program, North End Landing – Hamilton, ON
Position Description: Working within the Hamilton Apartments team as a Housing Support Worker, you will be responsible to provide tenants in Indwell's independent living apartments with supports that help them maintain health and housing. The Hamilton Apartments team is an interdisciplinary team that supports several buildings that provide our standard level of supports. Throughout our buildings, we support diverse tenant communities, including some buildings that are supported in partnership with Indigenous organizations.
About Indwell: We are a Christian not-for-profit charity that creates affordable housing communities and supportive programs to people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded in 1974, we continue to grow and thrive to build high quality energy efficient housing and inclusive living, uplifting our society. Our belief is that every employee is a leader contributing to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Being a part of our amazing team you will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell's mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness. To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model
What our Tenants say:
- "The welcoming you get when you walk through the doors, from tenants to staff. They're always checking on you."
- "Living at Indwell has been teaching me to do things and taught me how to get along with better people, be better people and trust people and let people do and say what they want."
- "An affordable rent. It’s huge, it’s huge. It means I can eat properly. And that affects my physical and mental health, so that is huge."
Hours of Work: Full time, 32 hours per week. Primarily Monday-Friday daytime hours, with some flexibility required to meet program needs, including evening and weekend hours. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
Duties for this position include:
- Providing direct and indirect support to individuals and tenant communities.
- Promoting trust and positive rapport with tenants.
- Supporting and advocating for tenants to connect with appropriate health, cultural and community supports.
- Coming alongside individuals to achieve their goals, balancing support with tenant empowerment and independence.
- Reinforcing individuals’ spirituality, culture, life skills and social and community skills.
- Plan and facilitate access to social, cultural, recreational and health promotion programs in coordination with the interdisciplinary team
- Supporting and coordinating volunteers
- Rent collection, pest management, and other landlord responsibilities
- Maintaining a safe and healthy environment.
For the Indwell community at North End Landing, Indwell is partnered with James North Baptist Church (JNBC) with a shared vision for the North End that is affordable and welcoming for all its residents. The Housing Support Worker at this building also acts as the primary contact and liaison with JNBC. Following established guidelines, they participate in regular ongoing communication with JNBC to maintain smooth running of programs and healthy partnership.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong communication, listening, interview and assessment skills, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated ongoing learning and experience around supporting diverse individuals and communities (ie. cultural safety, anti-racist and anti-oppressive practice, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within teams and with community social service agencies and partners.
- Possess written, verbal, time management and organizational skills.
Being client centered and using trauma-informed strategies to support tenants, the successful candidate should demonstrate a warm, sensitive, and caring approach. Must have strong problem-solving skills, be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships and have a genuine interest in supporting a diverse population of people living with mental illness. Having the ability to work independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative. A knowledge of local community resources and support systems and landlord-tenant relations is beneficial.
As Indwell works to support diverse tenant populations, we’re seeking to create a diverse work culture that closely matches the diversity of our communities. We seek qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially emphasize applications from Black, Indigenous peoples, members of racialized communities and intersectionalities.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and related experience.
Salary: $36,000-42,800 annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- 15 Picton St E, Hamilton, ON L8L 0C9, Canada