Psychosocial Support Worker
Psychosocial Support Worker- Full Time
Mississauga- Lakeshore Lofts Program
Closing Date for Applications: April 4th, 2023.
Position Description: The Psychosocial Support Worker will come alongside tenants struggling with mental health and/or substance use to optimize housing stability. Offering psychosocial support services that help individuals to flourish within their community. As part of an interdisciplinary team, you will also enhance community engagement, tenant-led initiatives, and develop a safe environment for our tenants to thrive.
About Indwell: We are a Christian not-for-profit charity that creates affordable housing communities and supportive programs to people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded in 1974, we continue to grow and thrive to build high quality energy efficient housing and inclusive living, uplifting our society. Our belief is that every employee is a leader contributing to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Being a part of our amazing team you will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell's mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness. To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week- days, evenings, weekends and public holidays. Hours will be scheduled based on the support needs of individuals. Participation in the on-call 24/7 schedule rotation is required.
Specific Duties for Interdisciplinary Team:
- Attend trainings on recovery; psychiatric rehabilitation, trauma, supported employment practices, substance use and cultural competency. Keep apprised of new research and developments in these areas through journals, web sites and literature to transfer knowledge to the team and tenants in the most effective manner available.
- Take responsibility for a primary case load under supervision of Program Supervisor.
- Ensure all required documentation is completed in a timely, comprehensive, and legible manner.
- Consult and collaborate with all team members on a regular basis. The goal of the Psychosocial Support Worker role is to holistically support a tenant within an interdisciplinary team. Therefore, team approaches should always be considered.
- Complete required assessment tools according to appropriate timelines.
- Coordinate, lead, and/or contribute to service planning for tenants.
- Monitor, review and update the tenants support plans on a scheduled basis and revise the plan, as necessary, ensuring flexibility to meet the tenants’ needs.
- Participate in quality improvement and data gathering as assigned. Consult on effective service plan and assessment tool development when necessary.
- Develop initiatives, programming, and support mechanisms to promote the value of safety within a community for tenants and for staff.
Psychosocial Support Duties:
- Assist tenants in developing and practicing the skills defined in their service plans in consultation with tenant and interdisciplinary team.
- Supporting tenants in gaining access to needed psychiatric, medical, social, residential, financial, and other services appropriate for the individual.
- Championing the importance of the tenants’ skill development. This involves coming alongside them with their goals; coaching independent living skills, maximizing abilities to promote community independence, encouraging them in maintaining good personal hygiene, self-confidence, and work with their social inclusion goals.
- Connect tenants to their chosen community resources and peer supports to promote community integration and inclusion. Provide education on available treatment or support models available in the community, completing referrals when needed and preparing individuals to build relationships with these external partners and supports.
- Actively engage tenants in services, this may include accompanying them to appointments, leisure activities or other areas of interest including religious, educational, or vocational opportunities to provide support and encouragement.
- Providing support with identifying early warning signs of mental health decline, developing coping, crisis, and safety plans and developing and facilitating psychoeducational, self-help groups through a biopsychosocial and psychosocial rehabilitation lens: facilitating tenants’ learning of coping skills to help handle stressful situations / environments and developing resources that reduce future stressors.
- Strive to help reduce bias and stigma, while fostering social inclusion within program communities through program development and implementation.
- Support will also address relationships with family, friends, neighbours, and co-workers. Examples of this could include conflict resolution education and coaching around how to be a good neighbour.
- Foster tenant-led initiatives within the program to encourage inclusion and purpose for tenants and the Indwell community.
- Educate tenants on conflict resolution techniques that will develop skills for neighbour conflicts and further social inclusion within the Indwell program and larger community. Working with tenants to improve the capacity of the community so that it becomes “physically, mentally healthier and a better-prepared community.”
Qualifications: Degree/diploma; proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Teams an asset.
Salary: $43,700-51,900 annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution.
To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants, however only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell's leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell's statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- Mississauga, ON, Canada