LAA-23-04 - KB Emergency Protection Order Duty Counsel
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to fill a Full-Time Temporary (12 months), Lawyer – King’s Bench Emergency Protection Order (EPO) Duty Counsel (DC) role and Provincial Court EPO role in our Calgary office in area of Family Law. This position will appeal to an individual that is familiar with the King’s bench and Provincial Court of Alberta Emergency Protection Order processes, likes to take initiative, is client-focused, and is exceptionally strong in delivering high-quality results.
We are Legal Aid Alberta. We believe in an Alberta where everyone is able to understand and protect their legal rights. As a publicly funded, non-profit organization, we provide affordable legal services in family law, domestic violence, child welfare, immigration, and youth and adult criminal defense. We are Alberta-wide: Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Siksika Nation, and Wetaskiwin. We work together to serve Albertans, protecting their rights and ensuring a fair legal process.Working at Legal Aid Alberta means you care about people and empathize with their situations. You have excellent communication skills, especially in tough situations. You are an expert in Family law, particularly with Emergency Protection Orders. You are also familiar with Child Welfare, the representation of children in high conflict family law matters and general Family Law matters. You are a quick thinker, able to provide sound advice, and thrive in a fast-paced work environment. You have effective communication and interpersonal skills as well as enjoy learning new things and can adapt to change quickly. You care deeply about the success of our team and have a solid understanding of our organization’s mission and values.
- Reporting to the Legal Services Manager, some of the key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Duty Counsel representation to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the policies and procedures of LAA.
- Manage King’s Bench EPO Review files
- Carry end to end responsibilities of managing King’s Bench EPO review files from initial acceptance of the files to the conclusion of the review process
- Carry end to end responsibilities of managing EPO Viva Voce Hearing files
- Assessment of applications from individuals seeking an Emergency Protection Order from the Provincial Court
- Duty Counsel representation in Provincial Court Emergency Protection Order applications
- Guide, assist, and provide emergency protection order legal and process information,
- Provide, as needed, information regarding restraining orders, parenting orders, and other relevant legal matters
- Support other areas of the family law team
- Able to manage high conflict situations
- Complete and accurate statistical record-keeping
- Compliance with office policy and procedures
- Participate in performance and staff meetings as required
Education and Experience:
- Law degree from a recognized law school
- Active member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Emergency Protection Orders within Family Law
- Strong litigation experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Rules of Court, Protection Against Family Violence Act, Family Law Act, Family Property Act, Divorce Act, and Child, Youth, and Family Enhancement Act
- Alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and negotiation skills
- Legal research, writing, and drafting, legal analysis, preparation of facts and written briefs, application of law to relevant facts
- Advocacy, problem-solving, and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to manage work in high pressure and high conflict situations
- Ability to investigate facts, identify issues, ascertain organizational objectives, consider alternative solutions, analyze risk, and advise clients and/or LAA on the appropriate course of action
- Understanding of community resources available to assist complex situations
What We Offer
Perks for working with us
- Competitive wage
- 8% RRSP employer contribution
- Health and dental benefits
- Health and wellness accounts
- Paid vacation time
- Holiday closure (paid time off)
- Professional days (paid time off)
- Individual Professional development budget
- Employee assistance program
How to Apply
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, select “Apply Now” to apply for this position. This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide an acceptable criminal record check.
- Pay Type Salary
- Calgary Office, 605 5 Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada