The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville
invites applications for the position of
Corporate Services Department
(Full-time position, 35 hours per week)
Located on the north-west edge of the Greater Toronto Area, less than one hour’s drive from Toronto and yet only moments away from the unspoiled, natural beauty of the Niagara Escarpment, the Town of Orangeville (“Town”) offers an excellent combination of location, small town charm and urban amenities. Situated in the picturesque natural setting of the Hills of Headwaters, Orangeville is home to nearly 30,000 residents and is the largest urban community and regional service centre within the County of Dufferin.
Reporting to the General Manager, Corporate Services, the Treasurer is responsible for the leadership, direction and management of the Finance Division. This position oversees the entire financial management of the Town including budgets, financial reporting, financial planning and forecasting. Duties of this position include:
- Establishing the strategic direction for the Finance Division; promoting a customer service culture through teamwork and open communication.
- Overseeing the implementation of the annual operating and capital budget process, and future year financial forecasts in accordance with provincial legislation for Council’s approval.
- Overseeing the collection and disbursement of all municipal revenues and expenditures: developing and implementing financial planning and analysis systems to align with corporate needs.
- Providing policy and practical advice on all Town budget matters and in all aspects of financial planning; understanding the current business of the Town and all strategic initiatives and projects to support and make financial recommendations.
- Assessing impacts of legislation and changes in the profession and makes related decisions for operational improvements.
- Researches, develops, recommends, and implements corporate financial and divisional policies and procedures.
- Overseeing the Town’s procurement and asset management programs.
- University degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Professional Accounting designations including Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA), or Chartered Accountant (CA).
- Significant and demonstrated experience in a senior officer capacity with seven (7) to nine (9) years of senior management experience involved with overseeing the administration of finances, fiscal planning, department management and staff supervision. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a municipal environment or an equivalent combination.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Municipal Act, Development Charges Act, Assessment Act, Public Sector Accounting Board standards, Occupational Health and Safety Act, investment and debt management, provincial/federal funding programs, property taxation, auditing standards and practices and other related legislation or regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal, financial, managerial, project/time management, organizational, analytical, research, communication, presentation, problem-solving and report-writing skills.
- Leadership and human relations skills in order to direct, develop, motivate, and support staff in establishing and achieving goals, and participate as an effective team member.
- Strong computer skills including use of Microsoft Office programs and related financial information systems (FMW, City-Wide and Cityworks software).
Successful candidates will be required to complete a background check, including but not limited to a Judicial Matters and Criminal Record Check, in accordance with the duties of this position.
Salary Range: $139,081.49 to $162,694.90, Band 15 on the Town’s 2023 Pay Grid, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, addressed to Sarah Alexander, Co-ordinator, Human Resources, no later than 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 6, 2023. Applications may be submitted online or submitted in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway, please do not email your applications.
To select the best candidates to serve the Town of Orangeville and its people, several screening tools, including Police Record Checks are required as part of the hiring process for some employment or volunteer positions. When requested, applicants are required to provide a Police Record Check as a condition of their offer of employment. Police Record Checks must be dated within three (3) months of the employment offer to be considered valid. The specific type of Police Record Check required will be indicated in the job posting qualifications.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $139,081.49
- Max Hiring Rate $162,694.90
- Town of Orangeville - Town Hall, 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario, Canada