Independence Pet Group® (IPG) is one of North America’s largest pet insurance and services organizations. Our impressive family of brands (PetPartners, Figo, Pethealth, IAIC) supports insurance for more than 600,000 pets in the U.S. and Canada and provides well-being, safety, resources, and business solutions to the pet industry, including microchip identification and an online pet registry.
This remote Human Resources Generalist is a key role within the human resources team in support of Operations. Principally, the HR Generalist will be responsible for the day-to-day management of HR operations for multiple call centers, claims production, account management, etc. experiencing consistent and sometimes intense growth. This role will advise, collaborate with others, and coordinate activities related to employee relations, health & safety, recruiting, payroll support, benefits, compliance and other human resource management activities.
The HR Generalist is an all-encompassing and comprehensive role requiring someone who enjoys planning and executing, excels at attention to detail and is dedicated to the personal and professional development of the organization’s people and programs. This position will demonstrate the highest level of integrity, convey confidence, inspire trust, and foster a welcoming and inclusive environment.
This experienced professional is part of an organization in which people truly do come first and will lead by example, applying our Core Values of Empathy, Collaboration, Belonging, Simplicity, Independence, Growth, Adventure in all of their actions
Job Location: Remote work is not available in Quebec, Nunavut, NW Territories, Yukon (Canada)
· Engaged regularly and directly with US and Canadian employees throughout their journey as a common first point of contact, triaging and readily addressing concerns to mitigate risk. Proactively listen and inquire keeping finger on the pulse of the organization. Participate in and support organizational development and activities to create a positive working climate
· Supports and communicates HR products and services that are considered value added and measurable directly tied to business objectives and aimed at increasing employee engagement and retention
· Works closely with the largest group of Operations managers to execute tasks regarding people issues mitigating risk including employee relations, performance management, consult to determine best approach, disciplinary actions, coaching strategies, and review resulting documentation, and provide guidance and training to management
· Full cycle employee relations from investigation to resolution and finalizing decisions
· Be a resource to managers on practices, policies and corporate procedures relating to proactive human resources management, for legal issues and ensures compliance with employment laws; to prevent risk to the organization (AODA, Health & Safety, ESA/MOL etc.). Monitor and interpret legal texts and regulations, identify their impacts, inform others
· Responsible for documenting activities regarding leaves of absence, disability, accommodation, and absenteeism management
· Act as a change agent fostering a positive health and safety culture, ensure that workplace accidents are handled appropriately and make the final decision on return to work
· Works closely with Talent Acquisition, training, IT and compliance in onboarding, with a focus on candidate experience and exceptional talent retention. Participate in and guide interview panels as needed
· Collaborate in continuous improvement processes related to human resources management. Policy creation, revision, communication, and monitoring adherence
· Reporting and audit for data integrity in a variety of systems. Prepare job descriptions and make recommendations for compensation review, planning
· Travel as needed to partner with management teams, support employees, events, and functions, and collaborate with HR. Working closely with HR team in Canada and US to ensure consistency across HR functions across all countries and entities
· Planning and facilitating employee engagement activities, company events and community service initiatives
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources
· 3 to 5 years of direct HR experience as a generalist across all Human Resources functions. Supporting high-volume call centre or retail ideal
· PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP or CHRL designation preferred (or working towards it)
· Highly collaborative across all departments and adapts to varying needs and styles. Proven track record of relationship building
· Strong organizational skills. Able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with a high attention to detail, and maintaining data integrity
· Strong sense of urgency; thrives in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment (ex: call centre or retail is ideal) supporting high-volume teams
· Takes ownership - consistently deliver completion of tasks on time, responsive, works independently, and takes initiative
· Ability to influence at different levels, motivate individuals and groups by creating a positive work environment
· Demonstrated technical ability to manage employment policies and apply human rights and ESA standards (Canada) and/or US employment laws to HR practices
· Model appropriate behaviors - maintain composure and approachability when dealing with the fast pace, constant interruptions, and stressful conditions
· Successfully navigates issues in the gray. Understands sensitive workplace issues; acts with diplomacy, tact, and professionalism always. Analytical/Problem Solving – analyzes a situation before reaching a conclusion. Exceptional sound judgement, ability to act with discretion and confidentiality. Approachable and applies a fair thought process, able to stay independent
· Conflict resolution skills
· Able to deliver tough messages in a clear and productive manner
· Exceptional communication skills, both written and spoken
· High degree of proficiency leveraging tools and technology to create, improve upon current practices and communicate various programs, policies, opportunities etc.
· Advanced proficiency with Excel, PPT, and tech savvy with other HRIS, ATS
· Frequent communications, verbal and written, through a variety of mediums including in-person, video, call, written correspondence, presentation
· Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time
· Must be able to read, count and do simple mathematics
· Be able to lift up to 10lbs. occasionally.
· The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
· Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a phone with headset, calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
· Traveling Requirement: up to 10%
· Being a pet lover is a plus
· Holds a valid passport is a plus (in the event of travel to our US location)
· Experience with SharePoint and MS Teams a plus
All of our jobs come with great benefits including healthcare, parental leave and opportunities for career advancements. Some offerings are dependent upon the location of where you work and can include the following:
· Comprehensive full medical, dental and vision Insurance
· Basic Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
· Company paid short-term and long-term disability
· 12 weeks of 100% paid Parental Leave
· Health Savings Account (HSA)
· Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
· Personal Paid Time Off
· Ten holidays and company-wide Wellness Day off
· Pet friendly office environment
· Commuter Benefits
· Group Pet Insurance
· On the job training and skills development
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email within 7 business days.
Independence Pet Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation or national origin. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- Job Family People & Culture
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Toronto, ON, Canada