At Trisura, we expect more because we believe it can be done better.
We are a young, growth oriented team with a commitment to exceptional talent and have been named one of Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers since 2017. Our growth and our entrepreneurial style, niche market position and development opportunities ensure that our people see the results of their commitment reflected in the company’s success.
We are currently seeking a qualified individual for the following opportunity in our Toronto office:
Claims Counsel - Toronto
The Claims Counsel, reporting directly to the Senior Vice President & General Counsel, will be responsible for the management of claims within the Specialty Insurance, Casualty and Risk Solutions departments.
With an LL.B. from a recognized university and 3 plus years of experience specializing in insurance law, the successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the claims process including:
- Coverage evaluation
- Setting claim reserves
- Reviewing, interpreting, negotiating and drafting agreements
- Responding to insureds, brokers and claimants
- Litigation management
- Negotiation of settlements
- Authorizing payments as required
You will also have the responsibility to investigate, evaluate, and resolve claims directly and in conjunction with internal and external counsel, claims adjusters and consultants. In addition, the Claims Counsel will act as a legal resource for Trisura’s various business units.
As an integral member of the team, you will bring:
- Ability to thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong critical thinking and analytical capabilities
- Forward thinking and collaborative approach to problem solving
- Self-directed work style with the ability to operate in a nimble entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to learn quickly
- A passionate, participative, service-oriented attitude
- LL.B. from a recognized university
- 3+ years of experience specializing in insurance law
- Membership in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.
- D&O, E&O, Fidelity and Property & Casualty insurance experience is a definite asset, as is in-house claims-handling
- Bilingual English/French is also an asset
We are committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace that reflects the diversity in each of our offices across Canada. Accommodations will be provided on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of our recruitment and selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Trisura Guarantee Insurance Company, headquartered in the heart of Canada’s financial district, is a specialty lines insurer with a focus on Surety, Specialty Insurance, Property & Casualty, and Warranty products.
As a Canadian owned and operated company, Trisura brings innovative solutions and expertise through a select network of both national and regional brokerage firms.
The company, founded in 2006, and operating across Canada with offices in Toronto, Halifax, Montréal, Calgary and Vancouver, is uniquely positioned to satisfy all varieties of risk in Contract, Commercial and Developer Surety, Directors' and Officers' Liability, Fidelity, and Professional Liability including Media Liability, as well as Warranty products.
- Pay Type Salary
- 333 Bay St., Toronto, ON M5H 2R2, Canada