Senior Manager, Scientific Communications (Scientific Publications)
Boston, MA, USA Req #159
Thursday, March 2, 2023
Who We Are:
At Xenon Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:XENE), we are committed to providing a brighter future for patients suffering from neurological disorders. Our employees are smart, passionate, dedicated, and driven by their incredibly important work to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines for patients in need. We are looking for great people who thrive in a respectful, collaborative, inclusive, and productive culture to join the Xenon team.
What We Do:
We are advancing an exciting pipeline of neurology-focused therapies, with a focus on commercializing novel treatments for epilepsy. Building upon the positive results and compelling data from our XEN1101 Phase 2b “X-TOLE” study in adult patients with focal epilepsy, our XEN1101 Phase 3 epilepsy program includes studies in adult patients with focal onset seizures and primary generalized tonic clonic seizures. In addition, XEN1101 is being evaluated as a treatment for major depressive disorder in both a company-sponsored Phase 2 clinical trial, as well as an investigator-led proof-of-concept study. We are also proud of the leading-edge science coming out of our discovery labs, where many innovative, early-stage research programs are underway. In addition to these proprietary programs, our pipeline includes clinical-stage partnered programs. Backed by a strong balance sheet to support our growth plans, we continue to build a fully integrated, premier neuroscience company with strong discovery, clinical development, corporate, and commercial operations.
About the Role:
About the Role:
We are seeking a Senior Manager, Scientific Communications (Scientific Publications) to join our team. The Senior Manager, Scientific Communications (Scientific Publications) is responsible for managing the strategic planning and execution of scientific communications tactics, including publication plans, medical communications initiatives, and scientific training materials.
This individual provides oversight and assistance to Medical Affairs, internal partners, and external vendors to ensure completion of scientific communications projects in an efficient and timely manner, that are medically and scientifically accurate, and that are of high editorial quality. The Senior Manager is responsible for developing content for, and planning activities related to the Scientific Communications plans for assigned projects. The Senior Manager is also responsible for collaborating with internal partners on conference strategy, scientific content development, and support for cross-functional teams including Clinical Development, Commercial, and Market Access.
This individual will have proven leadership ability in a fast paced, multi-location environment and interact with all levels of internal staff, as well as external stakeholders, including, but not limited to CRO’s, Opinion Leaders, Advisory Boards and Committees.
This position reports to the Vice President, Medical Affairs and will be located in the Boston, MA, USA location; we may consider other locations for an exceptional candidate.
- Manages development of publication plans for assigned products or disease state areas.
- Organizes and leads meetings of cross-functional publications planning and review teams, which include members of Medical Affairs and cross-functional partners.
- Implement, adhere to, and share knowledge of good publication practices and authorship criteria and requirements.
- Researches and applies knowledge of therapeutic areas and compounds to projects and planning.
- Responsible for medical writing of select scientific communications initiatives.
- Leads the scientific publication medical writing process and applies effective project management skills to ensure timely completion of high-quality deliverables.
- Build and maintain project timelines, communicate project status to stakeholders and anticipate and mitigate risks to timely delivery.
- Oversees development of scientific content and support for Scientific Communications activities such as internal scientific trainings, advisory boards, and scientific platforms.
- Represents Scientific Communications function on interdepartmental operational teams.
- Provides oversight and management writing projects which include but are not limited to manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and presentations from planning to submission, ensuring adherence to timelines, industry guidelines and company processes.
- Responsible for assuring scientific accuracy in scientific communications.
- Manages relationships with external medical communications agency service providers.
- Participates in cross-functional team and interdepartmental projects by providing medical writing, editorial and research support on an individual project basis.
- Act in accordance with Company policies, including, for example, the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and ensure policies are understood and followed by direct reports, if any
- Some international travel may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD, Pharm, MD, or other recognized doctorate level education with supporting applicable health science background.
- 5-8 years of relevant work experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry, with a strong medical or scientific background.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build credibility and trust inside and outside the Company.
- Previous launch experience strongly preferred.
- Be science and data driven while at the same time, creative and flexible in strategic thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to travel up to 25%, both domestically and internationally.
- Strong writing skills as related to scientific communications and medical education.
- Therapeutic experience in and knowledge of neurology preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of ICMJE and good publication practice industry guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to stay abreast of trends and new information in the profession.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills required.
- Ability to manage both day-to-day operations as well as project work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities as necessary.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work autonomously.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
To apply for this position, click Apply Now to complete the application. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.