Vice President, Intellectual Property
Boston, MA, USA ● Vancouver, BC, Canada Req #160
Monday, February 6, 2023
Who We Are:
At Xenon Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:XENE), we are committed to providing a brighter future for patients suffering from neurological disorders. Our employees are smart, passionate, dedicated, and driven by their incredibly important work to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines for patients in need. We are looking for great people who thrive in a respectful, collaborative, inclusive, and productive culture to join the Xenon team.
What We Do:
We are advancing an exciting pipeline of neurology-focused therapies, with a focus on commercializing novel treatments for epilepsy. Building upon the positive results and compelling data from our XEN1101 Phase 2b “X-TOLE” study in adult patients with focal epilepsy, our XEN1101 Phase 3 epilepsy program includes studies in adult patients with focal onset seizures and primary generalized tonic clonic seizures. In addition, XEN1101 is being evaluated as a treatment for major depressive disorder in both a company-sponsored Phase 2 clinical trial, as well as an investigator-led proof-of-concept study. We are also proud of the leading-edge science coming out of our discovery labs, where many innovative, early-stage research programs are underway. In addition to these proprietary programs, our pipeline includes clinical-stage partnered programs. Backed by a strong balance sheet to support our growth plans, we continue to build a fully integrated, premier neuroscience company with strong discovery, clinical development, corporate, and commercial operations.
About the Role:
About the Role:
We are seeking a Vice President, Intellectual Property to join our team. The Vice President, Intellectual Property is responsible for leading and executing against the strategy for our intellectual property (IP) globally, including counseling management and colleagues on the legal implications of all corporate and business activities, developing and implementing legal strategies, leading a small team, and managing services provided by outside counsel. The individual serves as a member of the Chief Legal Officer’s leadership team.
This position reports to the Chief Legal Officer and will be located in either the Vancouver, BC, Canada or Boston, MA, USA location; we may consider other locations for an exceptional candidate.
- Provide strategic counsel regarding the competitive IP landscape for the company’s current product portfolio and future technology plans, and develop strategies to protect Xenon’s IP rights worldwide
- Lead and manage the cross-functional Intellectual Property Committee which includes senior key discovery, development and business leaders
- Collaborate closely with internal commercial, clinical, discovery, development, and business development teams in implementing the company’s pipeline growth and long-term commercialization strategies, such that IP considerations are taken into account
- Prepare and prosecute (or oversee outside counsel in prosecuting) worldwide patent applications, and conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments
- Lead IP due diligence, IP review and IP agreement negotiation in support of Company’s business development activities
- Monitor, identify and report on IP policies, trends, and positions being taken by governments, opinion leaders, regulatory agencies that could affect Xenon’s IP positioning
- Oversee the company’s trademarks, trademark opportunities, and risks worldwide
- Promote the organization’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action
- Demonstrate effective change leadership
- Support a work environment of continuous improvement
- Develop and propose short- and long-term objectives for the function in accordance with overall Company strategies and plans
- Plan and manage budget proposals and approved budgets in accordance with the Company’s strategic and operating plans and Finance policies
- Recruit, lead, direct, develop, coach and evaluate direct report(s)in accordance with the Company’s Human Resource policies and practices
- Act in accordance with Company policies, including, for example, the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and ensure policies are understood and followed by direct reports
- Some international travel may be required
- Other duties as assigned
- J. D. or equivalent, with 15+ years experience (pharmaceutical or biotechnology, preferred), including experience in a managerial capacity, ideally in a law firm and/or biopharmaceutical corporate setting
- BS/MS/PhD in life sciences, including biology, chemistry (preferred), biochemistry or other technical degree relevant to biotechnology is requires (advanced degree strongly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a strong business partner, collaborator and manager
- Skilled at advising senior management and managing outside counsel
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated business acumen with the ability to grasp important business issues and legal issues facing the Company
- Approaches IP with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks and looking for creative solutions and opportunities
- Demonstrated understanding of international legal IP landscape and laws
- A proven leader, who has hired, trained, motivated, facilitated and successfully led teams. Able to coach, mentor and develop team members, and proactive in sharing knowledge and collaborating with other teams and stakeholders
- Experience with IP litigation as well as with the USPTO IPR and PGR processes
- Strong executive presence, and excellent communication and writing skills
To apply for this position, click Apply Now to complete the application. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.