Marketing & Sales - Estimator
Estimator – Electrical
This position reports to the Director of Sales & Marketing (who is also one of our 2 owners) in our pruce Grove, AB office. When capacity allows, your position will assist as a Project Coordinator (Electrical) so this position may also have indirect reporting to the Director of Operations.
At Ryfan we work collaboratively and wear many hats. Darren Fraser, our Director of Sales & Marketing and part-owner, is also currently our lead Electrical Estimator. This new position is intended to be Darren’s successor in his estimating role. You’ll work closely with Darren, our Mechanical & Plumbing Estimator and our CEO to take on electrical estimating and continue the department’s growth and systematization.
For a smaller company like us, we pitch in when we have capacity, so all Estimators supplement as Project Coordinators when able. In this capacity, you’ll help our Operations team implement new project management tools and coordinate the purchasing of material and deployment of resources. Your project squad is a nimble team of Project Coordinators, Project Administrators and Field Supervisors. Your squad may change with each project based on each person’s skill set and the requirements of the project. Although you are not dedicated exclusively to one team, we do try to create as much consistency as possible from project to project. As Project Coordinator you will primarily report to the Project Managers and a dedicated squad focussed on supporting our growing electrical division.
There are no positions that report directly to you.
accountabilities & responsibilities
As our Estimator (Electrical) you’ll fulfill the following accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Prepare budgets and estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment, and conditional subcontracts for construction projects based on conceptual plans, contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications;
- Submit timely and clearly communicated Requests for Information to prepare informed estimates;
- Advise and collaborate on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders and conduct negotiations in collaboration with the Executive team;
- Establish and maintain tendering processes and systems;
- Prepare and maintain directories of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors;
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, clients, owners, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers to prepare informed estimates; and
- Prepare initial milestone and manpower schedules for handoff to Operations.
Contract Review & Risk Assessment
- Thoroughly review proposed contracts included with bid packages to assess risk to Ryfan, and report to the Executive team on issues of concern; and
- Collaborate with the Executive team to prepare bids that mitigate contractual risk to Ryfan.
Build & Maintain Strong Relationships
- Build and maintain long-term and trusting relationships with external parties including clients and suppliers;
- Build strong internal relationships with your colleagues to provide and receive feedback for continuous improvement; and
- Actively participate in project kick-off and post-mortem meetings to assess opportunities for continuous improvement in the Estimating process and your own development.
Systems, Forecasting & Analytics
- Establish cost monitoring and reporting systems;
- Establish, track and monitor critical metrics;
- Contribute to the maintenance of Ryfan’s pipeline and forecasting; and
- Contribute to the maintenance and continuous improvement of Ryfan’s Operating System – our relationships, policies, processes and procedures for ensuring high-functioning across the organization, not only in your department.
Procurement & Scheduling
- Schedule and coordinate project activities including resources, equipment and labour, and conduct site visits as necessary to ensure the project is on-track;
- Oversee procurement of materials and equipment for each project in accordance with the approved budget, requirements and schedule;
- Develop and adjust detailed schedules, action items and timeframes to support the overall project schedule;
- Liaise with clients to refine project requirements, scope, objectives and satisfaction;
- Monitor and report on projects’ progress and make recommendations to the Project Manager to help identify and mitigate risk, maximize opportunities and continuously improve our operations in accordance with our Vision, Mission, Passion and Core Values.
Project Financial Support
- Support the Project Manager in developing and monitoring project budgets and forecasts;
- As applicable, review, prepare and issue accurate and timely purchase orders, bills and invoices;
- Monitor accounts receivable and follow up on past due accounts.
Document Control & Management
- Prepare and issue accurate project paperwork as required such as contracts, change orders, work orders, purchase orders and similar;
- Ensure all required documentation is received from other parties as applicable;
- Support the Project Administration team in achieving accurate and timely project record keeping.
Support Field Supervisors
- Frequently share and receive accurate and timely information with field leadership, project management, clients and other relevant stakeholders;
- Support field leadership in responding to emerging issues;
- Schedule and attend meetings and site visits as needed to accomplish the project’s outcomes;
- Document and follow up or act upon actions and decisions from stakeholder meetings.
Reporting & Continuous Improvement
- Analyze project risks and opportunities, and make recommendations to the Project Manager;
- Monitor project progress, provide timely and accurate information to the Project Manager, and resolve issues as they arise;
- Collaborate with the Project Manager to identify and resolve barriers to success, whether on a specific project or more broadly within our operations;
- Support the development of line-of-sight throughout the organization to ensure nimble management of planning and productivity and enhance the profitability of the organization.
Like all job descriptions, your accountabilities and responsibilities will evolve over time to support Ryfan’s goals, project needs and your individual growth. As a result, you should expect your job description to change from time to time.
required qualifications, experience & education
Our Estimators possess the following or comparable qualifications, experience and education:
- A high school diploma is a minimum requirement;
- Minimum of 10 years experience in electrical estimating. Your background prepares you to be comfortable with building (commercial and institutional), industrial and mining construction;
- Strong understanding of engineering contractors, suppliers and manufacturers;
- In-depth knowledge of project delivery and project management methods.
Project Coordinators possess the following skills:
- Strong math skills including algebra, geometry and arithmetic;
- Ability to interpret specifications and plans, and make recommendations for solutions in the client’s best interests and Ryfan’s;
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines;
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolutions skills. You are an interest-based negotiator, not a positional negotiator;
- Advanced interpersonal, team building, leadership and organizational skills;
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of people, including technical, professional, and all teams at Ryfan;
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, colleagues, clients and stakeholders.
In addition to living our Core Values daily, as an Estimator you demonstrate these job-specific competencies:
- Impeccable Attention to Detail: You pay attention to every fine detail. You think about what is required in order to achieve the project’s outcomes, and ensure it is complete to a high standard;
- Timeliness: Deadlines are critical, and you are willing to put in the time and effort necessary to get the work done exceptionally well;
- Planning & Organizing: You develop, implement and adjust plans to reach goals, while ensuring the optimal use of resources;
- Problem Solving: You identify problems and the solutions to them;
- Results Driven: You organize time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way. You take the time to prepare a risk-adjusted estimate with your team and you can adapt on the fly as necessary. You are equally comfortable with the day-to-day details and the big picture.
- Team Leadership: You build strong teams by collaborating with all stakeholders and helping others achieve excellent results. You recognize how you and your team fits into the Ryfan community as a whole.
The salary range for this position is $95,000 to $120,000 based upon experience. This position is a 1.0
FTE. Overtime or on-call work may be occasionally required. Time off with pay in lieu of overtime is provided in Alberta but not the Northwest Territories.
This position is subject to the following pre-employment conditions:
- Satisfactory criminal record check;
- Government of Canada Security Clearance (sponsored by Ryfan); and
- Driver’s abstract check.
- Type de paie Salaire
- Taux min. à l'embauche 95 000,00 $
- Taux max. à l'embauche 120 000,00 $
- Déplacement requis Oui
- Pourcentage de déplacements 10
- Études requises Études secondaires
- Date de début de la tâche 27 mars 2023
- 485 South Ave, Spruce Grove, AB T7X 2E9, Canada