Office of the President
Job Opportunity - Office of the President
Posting Date: February 1, 2023
Closing Date: March 1, 2023
Position Title: University Secretary to the Board of Regents
Department: Office of the President
Pay Scale Group: PM5
Annualized Salary: $89,862.86 - $126,110.27
Type of Appointment: Part-time Continuing
Normal Work Schedule: Part Time (3 days per week); hybrid remote/in-office
Victoria University is committed to equity in access to employment and a diverse and inclusive workplace. The University encourages applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. If you require accessibility accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department email@example.com
The University Secretary reports to the President of Victoria University and is also directly accountable to the Chair of the Board of Regents. In addition, the University Secretary is the Chair of the Senate, supporting individuals charged with Victoria University’s bicameral governance model.
This position is a continuing part-time, hybrid remote role and will require a flexible schedule, working an average of three (3) days per week, including evening and weekend availability.
As support for both the Board of Regents and the Senate, you will collaborate with many constituencies to foster the effective governance of the University and will serve as the initial contact for members of the Board, the University of Toronto Governing Council secretariat, government, business, community and other University leaders regarding inquiries/advice concerning the Board and its procedures.
In accordance with the Victoria University Act and the By-Laws of the Board, the University Secretary is responsible for managing the administrative functions of the Board of Regents and Senate including coordinating and facilitating the activities of the Board of Governors, the Senate and its committees and the initiation, development and administration of university processes and policies, and is the member of the university’s management team responsible for organizing, supporting and promoting the good governance of the University.
Managing action items, you will assist the Board and Senate to stay focused on deliverables and deadlines as well as coordinating the preparation of materials for all meetings including room logistics, catering, agendas, and any technology needed. You will be required attend all meetings to record proceedings and liaise with the Chair of the Board and the Chairs of the Standing committees and senior University leadership to ensure plans to support and record Board and Senate committees are in place. You will draft all agendas, resolutions, reports or other documentation, which the Board may direct, and you will discharge other duties and responsibility as may be assigned by the Board or by the Board Chair.
You will provide counsel about procedures and governance and will be accountable to confirm quorum, roll calls, and recording of votes for the transcription of official minutes for distribution to key stakeholders. You will also be responsible for developing and maintaining Board and Senate related records. The University Secretary advises the President and the Chair of the Board of Regents on highly sensitive and confidential issues that may significantly affect the governance, functioning or reputation of the institution.
You will hold a position of significant trust and responsibility while maintaining the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Education and Skills
- Experience working in or with a university in a role that directly supports and advises or regularly has contact with the Board of Regents, Senate and executive team. This could include experience in a university secretariat office, board office, provost or president’s office, a general counsel office, or as a previous university board member.
- A university degree in a relevant field of study is preferred, though significant related experience may be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of board protocols (both private and public), parliamentary procedure and fiduciary requirements is mandatory.
- Experience reviewing, updating and applying organizational by-laws and governance related documents.
- Experience conducting and analyzing research to prepare reports, memorandums, briefing notes, and support materials for board members to senior management.
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills. Sensitivity to work with detailed and strictly confidential material is required.
- Expertise in MS Office technology; experience working in a MS Teams environment.
- Demonstrated vision and initiative, together with strong planning, communication, and the ability to prioritize many competing demands.
- Working knowledge of Bourinot’s Rules of Order would be an asset.
Internal candidates are asked to submit their applications online by logging onto Dayforce. Please visit https://www.vicu.utoronto.ca/careers/ and click Internal Opportunities to login and apply.
External Candidates may proceed by clicking "Apply Now" below.
Victoria University thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Famille d'emplois Supervisory
- Type de paie Salaire
- Toronto, ON, Canada